Out of Autumn and into the cold.



Every year in Leeds around the end of November-beginning of December we have a Christmas German Market, or Christkindlemarkt. German pretzels, bratwursts and cinnamon sugar roasted nuts? Super gets me in the Christmassy mood. I've already planned my first trip this coming week with my brother and my friend Stacey (hi Stacey!) and seeing this beautiful man after.

He's so pretty....

The golden colours of Autumn are fast disappearing and Winter is slowly creeping in. Don't get me wrong, I love the whole pumpkin-ness but I'm ready for big thick scarves, woolly jumpers and fluffy socks, hearty stews, and these cinnamon sugar roasted nuts.



I rarely make these nuts at home, simply because they are so addictive. Crunchy, cinnamon sugar coats the fragrant roasted nuts, the sweetness offset by the slight saltiness. My favourites are the almonds and pecans, but you can use whatever nut you wish. Apparently they can store in an airtight container for a two weeks (which person has suggested this??!) I can guarantee you now that they will not last that long.







CINNAMON SUGAR ROASTED MIXED NUTS

Ingredients:

5-600g Mixed nuts (I used a mix of almonds, cashews, pecans, brazil nuts)
1 Egg White
1 tbsp water
130g Caster Sugar
30g Brown Sugar
1 tbsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Salt

Method:

  1. Preheat the oven to 150°C
  2. In a bowl mix together the sugars, cinnamon and salt
  3. In another bowl whisk together the water and egg white until very frothy
  4. Pour frothed up water and egg white mixture into the nuts, stir until nuts are coated well. Sprinkle the rest of the sugar mixture into the nuts before mixing again until evenly coated.
  5. Divide the mixture onto two baking trays, spreading the nuts out into an even layer.
  6. Bake in the preheated oven for around 40 minutes, stirring half way through.
  7. Remove from oven and let cool before breaking the nuts apart.
  8. Devour the lot. Store in an airtight container for as long as you can bear it. 




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

About

Interior designer & part time baker. Lover of architecture, design and all things cute.