My name is Theresa and I'm a Cookie Addict


I think I have a problem. A big cookie problem. The thing is, I have (to me) a perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe up my sleeve; crisp on the edges and soft, chewy and slightly gooey in the centre. And yet when I come across recipes for best ever chocolate chip cookies like these gorgeous looking ones from Pinch of Yum, I can't help but wonder if it really is that good. And if I don't try it out, I'll never know will I? And of course, I need to taste one each at every stage of the cooling process as soon as it leaves the oven to make my judgment

These cookies are actually quite good. In order to get a softer, more caramel tasting cookie, I increased the brown sugar to 3 tablespoons and reducing the caster sugar by 2 tablespoons. Also I adapted it to use only dark chocolate, rather than two types of chocolate.  You definitely get the chew and crisp factor in this cookie, however I found it was slightly too sweet. I think next time I will reduce the sugar slightly and increase the flour a bit as the cookies spread a little too much for my liking, even after chilling the dough. 


When it comes to baking, I love the process of baking more than the actual eating of the finished goods. Don't get me wrong, my waistline proves that I eat more than my fair share but I can't help but test and experiment. It's all part of the process of becoming a better baker.
For those who are interested in trying out these cookies, feel free to try out the original version here, or mine below:

CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Adapted slightly from Pinch of Yum
Yields 14-16 cookies, or 8 giant ones

Ingredients:

60g unsalted butter, room temperature
40g unsalted butter, melted and cooled 
120g caster sugar
45g light brown soft sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
180g plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/4 tsp salt
80g dark/ plain chocolate chips, or more/less to suit your taste

Method:
  1. Sift the flour, bicarb of soda and salt into a bowl and set aside
  2. Place both butters and sugars in the bowl of a stand mixer (or use a hand mixer if you don't have a stand mixer) and beat until incorporated, creamy and lightly fluffy
  3. Add vanilla extract and egg and beat until just incorporated (do not overmix- you don't want a cake like cookie!)
  4. Add the dry ingredients and mix on slow until everything is just incorporated (it is ok to have a few white floury bits)
  5. Stir in the chocolate chips
  6. Chill the dough in the fridge for 20-30mins, and in the meantime preheat your oven to 180°C
  7. Roll cookie dough into balls and place on prepared baking tray, ensuring there is enough space around the cookie balls to allow for spreading during baking (my cookie dough balls were approx. 40-50g in weight)
  8. Bake for about 8 minutes, or until the tops and edges are starting to turn brown 
  9. Take out of the oven shove one quickly into your mouth and let cool thoroughly before eating
  10. Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature

My verdict? Call me biased, but it's still not as good as the recipe I have but it is a strong contender! I would definitely tweak it a little more next time. They've all gone now, which is always a good sign. Try these out and let me know what you think!



1 comments:

  1. I'm with you too about preferring the process of baking more than eating. The cookies look great. Anyway, great job with your new blog. Can't wait to read more of your amazing baking. I'm a huge fan already. :)

    ReplyDelete

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

About

Interior designer & part time baker. Lover of architecture, design and all things cute.