Viennese Whirls


This post has been sat in my draft for longer than I'd like to admit.... Viennese Whirls pretty much sums up the past month in that it has literally been, a whirl. Not of the Viennese kind but rather, two short but sweet trips to opposite sides of the world in which I got to see two of my cousins get married. 



The beginning of January started with a visit to Hong Kong, which involved catching up with some family (Mother's side), went to my cousin T's wedding, a very short cycle trip to my Dad's home village as our pathetic attempt at exercise to offset the mass amount of yummy food consumed. 
Following a week back at work A and I jetted off State Side for cousin M's wedding (Dad's side) on the beautiful Catalina Island, as well as spend a couple of days in Los Angeles and ending the trip with a couple of days in Palm Springs (aka Interior Design shops heaven). I've never been to the West coast before and definitely would return in the future- California is so beautiful and there's no way you can explore it in less than a week! 

So, you can only imagine how messed up my body clock is since returning from opposite sides of the world. I spent most of the past 2 weeks wondering what time zone I'm in and I think I'm just about recovered, thank goodness! Which is good, because I can properly prepare myself for the onslaught of new and exciting projects at work, which come to think about it is another whirl itself!



Now, back to these Viennese Whirls. I'm not sure why that are called Viennese Whirls...I think they're thought to be inspired by Austrian pastries. Two buttery biscuits sandwiched with buttercream and jam. My favourite, which I'm sure many others will agree, would have to be Mr Kiplings Viennese Whirls. Now you can make these at home- dead simple and taste great, if not better than Mr. K's.

Wishing cousin M and cousin T all the best with both their new married lives. May you all live happily ever after!

P.S. M-you best come home to visit or else I'll be throwing a load of these Whirls at you.


VIENNESE WHIRLS
Yields 15-18


Biscuits

250g very soft butter
50g icing sugar, plus extra to decorate
250g plain flour
50g cornflour
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Filling

100g soft butter
200g icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
75g strawberry/ raspberry jam (I like to use slightly more tart jam to offset the sweetness of the buttercream)

  1. Preheat the oven to 190°C and line 2 trays with baking parchment.
  2. Place all the biscuit ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth- you may need to scrape the mixture down a few times
  3. Spoon the biscuit mixture into a piping bag filled with a large star tip and pipe mini rosettes onto the prepared baking trays. (My rosettes were approx. 1 inch- 1.5 inch diameter) Make sure to space out the rosettes as these will spread slightly during baking.
  4. Bake in the centre of the oven for 13-15 minutes, or until a pale golden brown and firm to touch. Cool completely on a wire rack before decorating.
  5. For the buttercream filling: Place the butter, icing sugar and vanilla extract into a bowl and beat with an electric whisk, or by hand until very light and smooth. Spoon mixture into a piping bag fitted with a large star tip and pipe a ring of buttercream on one side of biscuit. Fill the centre with your jam of choice and sandwich with another biscuit half.
  6. Dust the Viennese Whirl with icing sugar to serve. Remaining whirls can be store in an airtight container.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

About

Interior designer & part time baker. Lover of architecture, design and all things cute.